Fountain is considered the "centre" of Rondebosch and can be visited in its
original place, now the busy traffic intersection where Belmont Road meets Main Road.
On or near this spot, stood a clump of thorn trees named by Jan van Riebeeck,
"'T Ronde Doornbosjen" from which Rondebosch took its name. In this
vicinity, on March 1, 1657, nine free "burghers" took permanent title to
land and became the first European "citizens" of South Africa.
The Fountain was donated to the Municipality of Rondebosch by
George Pigot Moodie on 26 Sept 1891. He died five weeks later at Westbrooke
where he lived.
It was proclaimed a national monument on 10 April 1964.
to its name, the Fountain is actually an ornamental trough for watering horses. This
cast-iron structure was put together from a catalogue issued by Walter Macfarlane
& Co, Saracen Foundry, Glasgow. The lamp above the fountain apparently contained
the first electric street light installed in Cape Town.
For many years fresh flowers have been sold from the side-walk
across the road from the Fountain and has become a landmark to the people of
Rondebosch and neighbouring suburbs.
variety of fresh flowers are available all year long, from the indigenous giant
proteas and "Snow on the Mountain" in season to the more known Gladiolus
hybrids, roses and Dutch Iris. This is well worth a visit.