Rondebosch Fountain forms the centre of this suburb, find it where Belmont & Main Road meets. Buy your fresh cut flowers from the Flower sellers near the Fountain.
The Fountain is considered the "centre" of Rondebosch and can be visited in its original place, now the busy traffic intersection where Belmont Road meets Main Road. On or near this spot, stood a clump of thorn trees named by Jan van Riebeeck, "'TÂ Ronde Doornbosjen" from which Rondebosch took its name. In this vicinity, on March 1, 1657, nine free "burghers" took permanent title to land and became the first European "citizens" of South Africa.
The Fountain was donated to the Municipality of Rondebosch by George Pigot Moodie on 26Â SeptÂ 1891. He died five weeks later at Westbrooke where he lived.
It was proclaimed a national monument on 10 April 1964.
Contrary to its name, the Fountain is actually an ornamental trough for watering horses. This cast-iron structure was put together from a catalogue issued by Walter Macfarlane & Co, Saracen Foundry, Glasgow. The lamp above the fountain apparently contained the first electric street light installed in Cape Town.
For many years fresh flowers have been sold from the side-walk across the road from the Fountain and has become a landmark to the people of Rondebosch and neighbouring suburbs.
A variety of fresh flowers are available all year long, from the indigenous giant proteas and "Snow on the Mountain" in season to the more known Gladiolus hybrids, roses and Dutch Iris. This is well worth a visit.